This year, we are again delighted to offer two highly advanced flu vaccines that protect against four virus strains:
Quadrivalent / Tetravalent – 4-Strain vaccine
2017/18 is the fifth season that this vaccine will become available in the UK. In addition to the three standard strains included in all of the other vaccines, this vaccine also includes protection against a further strain of influenza “B”. In all other respects, it is similar to “standard” vaccines.
- Protects against an additional fourth strain – so, 2 “A” strains and 2 “B” strains – unlike any other injected vaccine
- Injection of killed viral fragments
- Gives good immunity to 4 predicted 2017/18 winter flu strains only.
Nasal Spray Children’s vaccine – 4-Strain vaccine
These vaccines contain live viruses that have been weakened and cannot cause infection. They work by generating local immunity within the upper respiratory tract. They have been shown to be more effective than other options for protecting children, and have the additional benefit of not requiring injection – they are given in the form of a nasal spray, administered by a doctor or nurse. The vaccine virus survives only under the lower temperature conditions of the nose and upper respiratory passages, but dies at full body temperature, so cannot cause harmful infection.
- Needle-free, sprayed directly into the nose
- Recommended for children and young adults from the age of 2 years
- Contains live viruses that have been weakened and cannot cause infection
- Mimics effect of real virus on the immune system, producing powerful protection
- Produced in vero cell culture, contains gelatine
- Licensed for children only (Aged 24 months to 17 years)